Using computers, the internet and devices such as iPads give children fantastic learning opportunities. The internet offers a wealth of useful educational information, and the different technologies and devices can be used to further their creativity by creating images, videos, and their own websites. And these technologies can of course be used for fun – watch videos, play games or listen to music!
As a school we promote using technology as an essential part of the children’s education, and it’s an aspect that’s becoming more important year on year.
However, the internet and these fantastic technologies unfortunately also pose a threat to our children, and therefore it is important that we as a school, and as parents or guardians, ensure that our children learn how to use these things safely.
PC John (one of 18 Police School Liaison Officers) regularly visits the school to discuss various matters with the children, and he says that e-Safety is an immensely important issue in our schools, and that the misuse of technology can cause significant problems.
PC John has also held a meeting at the school to discuss the issues with parents, including:
1. Online bullying
2. Sharing images – (once they’re online, they’re there forever, and anyone can share them)
3. Sharing information/too much information e.g. age, address, location (location settings on a device)
4. Online chats – (during games, or on video link – who’s ‘really’ on the other side?')
5. Weak passwords (and the dangers of being hacked)
The school intends to organize regular sessions to discuss/raise awareness regarding e-Safety, at least once a year, since it is so important.
Llŷr Edwards (Tomos, Cadog, Guto and Brychan’s Dad) is the School’s Governor with responsibilities over Child Protection and e-Safety. If you have any concerns regarding your child and his/her use of the internet or technologies, or if you would like advise on the mater, please ask him.
Below are things all parents should be aware of.
Scroll down for lots of helpful information.
- Every parent/guardian needs to sign the school’s e-Safety agreement.
- The children use the internet and devices in the school in accordance to the school’s e-Safety policy.
- Parents need to be aware of how their children are using technology at home, and help them to be careful.
- The school’s e-Safety policy is available to be seen at the school.
- If you have concerns regarding e-Safety speak with Mrs Dilys Ellis Jones or Llŷr Edwards.
USEFUL INFORMATION AND MATERIAL
1.How to set up your router to filter unwanted sites.
2. An useful App to monitor and promote sensible use of Android and Apple devices
3. Useful documents
4. Good Websites
SchoolBeat – Cyberbullying
SchoolBeat – Mobile Phones
SchoolBeat – Internet Safety
THINK YOU KNOW –https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
Internet Matters -http://www.internetmatters.org
Safer Internet -http://www.saferinternet.org.uk/
Like the NWP Cyber Crime Team / Tîm Troseddau Seiber Heddlu Gogledd Cymru on Facebook
* Remember, pupils of Ysgol O.M. Edwards shouldn’t have Facebook pages themselves, you must be 13+ to use Facebook.